Monday, February 16, 2009

Work project

Two people actually asked me what kind of project I am working on (the BIG one). It is really really boring, but it is a manual (or actually several manuals) for a distributed control system, a so called DCS. These systems usually control manufacturing systems or processes, the one I am working on is a very advanced control system for turbines and balance of plant (BOP) applications including coal fired boilers, nuclear, and integrated gas combined-cycle installations.

The controller elements are not central in location (like a big computer) but are distributed throughout the system with each component sub-system controlled by one or more controllers. The entire system of controllers are connected by networks for communication and monitoring.

So now you know I am not exaggerating: It is really boring. But I have received great materials from Swedish engineers, so the terminology and the glossaries for the project are already in place, it is more like a gigantic translation puzzle of sort.

No wonder my brain is so fatigued every afternoon, this kind of project require a lot of brain power, in fact, any kind of translation project can be kind of tiring, just keeping two languages in alignment at all times. It is physically tiring, for sure.

But this is what I will be working on for all of February, so now I have bored you all to bits. :-).

No comments: