Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hello from the hospital!

Due to generous amounts of pain relievers I am giving you this update. I was in for a HUGE surprise! I did not get the step 1 of the 2 step J pouch surgery, I got a 1 step only! This is majorly huge! It means doctor Shore considered me to be in stable enough to have a one step procedure. This means NO ileostomy, no second surgery!!! On a fun note he also said my internal organs were very beautiful. Ha, ha!

The recovery will be much tougher, since I will have to learn to use the new plumbing while recuperating from major surgery. I am still hooked up to an anal drain, and I will not be able to have any food OR drink for a while. I can have ice chips, but I have 0 % appetite, so that is OK.

The surgery itself took 6 hours and I lost a lot of blood. All in all it is a lot better than I though it would be! The doctor and all the other personnel is SO nice, I am in VERY good hands. Due to this more severe surgery I will have to stay in the hospital for at least 10 days... Oh, and in the middle of being prepped for the surgery I was hit by a bad anxiety attack, out of nowhere... Wham! This was only the third anxiety attack in my entire life. Lucky I didn't end up with a stoma, because I couldn't concentrate on a word the stoma nurse said before the surgery!

Everything worked out fine, now I just have to recover... Below are some pictures from the surgery, look away if you can't handle it! I will get some actual colon pictures from the doc later... Tired

My sister giving me a pep talk afterwards

The incisions are not too bad due to a mainly laparascopic procedure.


Thumbs up!

In the prep room, getting nervous

I had (and still am) wearing special leg contractions that will help prevent blood clots. They get randomly filled with air, and the pressure is to mimic walking.



You can tell on my face I am not too happy. This is how an anxiety attack looks like!

10 comments:

JaCal said...

SweFlo!! You're a hero!! You rock, girl!! I just came back from Croatia and have updated myself on what's going on in your world. I'm so happy to hear about the good news and that you're doing fine. What a great sister to be there with you! Now, I hope the next few days will be a breeze and that you'll get back your appetite. Way to go!

Kram!

Helén said...

Skönt att höra att det bara blir en operation och att du verkar förhållandevis ok :)
Krya på dig!

BritGirl said...

Good God woman, are you human?!!
How can you be able to blog already and smile for the camera?
Is this a Swedish thing?
You're amazing!
Keep it up!

Fia said...

Åhhhhh, vad skönt att se att allt har gått så bra!! Skönt också att höra att du känner att du är i goda händer, det är ju så viktigt. Hoppas nu att du får fler positiva överaskningar på vägen. Kram och krya på dig!

Anne said...

Vilken stark och positiv person du är, och redan ute i bloggvärlden med rapport. Vilka goda nyheter du fick om operationen , en så positiv överraskning stärker dig säkert lite extra nu när det blir tufft och jobbigt med återhämtningen.
Du har operationen avklarad, en punkt avbockad och för varje dag, varje timme som går kommer du närmare och närmare återhämtning. Kämpa på! Det finns massor massor med människor här ute som tänker på dig!
Kram Anne

Desiree said...

Åh vännen du är såå modig och stark. Way to go girl! Skönt att operationen är över och att allt ser bra ut. Du borde verkligen få högsta pris för bloggaranda som orkar blogga från sjuksängen dagen efter en stor operation. Roligt att höra att din doktor bestämde sig för att göra allt på en gång då slipper du gå igenom allt detta en gång till. Krya på dig, ta det lugnt och hoppas att smärtan ger med sig lite för varje dag och att du snart känner dig bättre.

Stor kram på dig. Beautiful organs, ja du Sweflo du är beautiful både utanpå och innuti.

Victoria said...

Mycket imponerande att redan blogga och lägga ut bilder, så snart efter operationen! Vad skönt att allt gått så bra, vi tänker på dig! Kramar/Vic

Anonymous said...

Som alltid är du SANSLÖS :-) Hoppas du nu återhämtar dig mer och mer för varje dag. Jag tänker på dig så det knakar- har sklickat ett litet kry på dig paket i går. Kram till min underbara barndoms kamrat!! / Anna

Anne-Marie said...

Du är fantastisk! Att le på kort och blogga efter en stor operation. You go girl! Hoppas att allt fortsätter att gå bra och att du snart återhämtat dig. Kram!

S w e F l o said...

Tack for alla uppmuntrande ord!