Friday, September 12, 2008

SUPER SPIDERS

As you remember, the other day I sprayed the entire outside of the house with bug spray.

Well, apparently that didn't quite take. I was going in through the patio doors, when in the last second, I noticed a couple of black widow eggs sacks INSIDE the door handle! Shit, they were NOT There the other day... A closer look, and sure enough. Mommy spider was still around, guarding her off spring.

I kind of panicked, sprayed her with the water hose, but she only looked pissed off. Don't ask me how I dared, but I took some pictures f her! You can really see the distinct red hour glass shape on her abdomen. After the pictures were taken she got thoroughly showered in bug spray, no WAY she could have survived that... And the egg sacks got soaked in poison as well.

When I walked around the house to turn off the hose, I saw more egg sacks hanging from the kitchen window. I decided to take a picture of those, and not until I looked at the camera's display did I see the angry mother spider, she had been hidden from my sight, but since I angled the camera up there I got her in the shot too, apparently. She is now also dead.

Here are some comparative pictures:

Pro picture of a black widow

My picture of a black (or brown) black widow (you can hint at the red hour glass shape on the belly)

Pro picture of a brown widow and its egg sacks


My picture of widow egg sacks (and the mom I didn't know was there!)

So the conclusion to this is that the very venomous widow really likes our house!

6 comments:

Ewa said...

Tina
Skit i att döda dem Jag vill se dem när jag kommer.
Fast vi har dem här i Sverige också enligt tidningen. De har blivit inskickade till naturhistoriska museet för ´granskning eller var det för kännedom.
Och så du vi håller koll på dig om du dyker upp.

Anonymous said...

skitläskigt... och skithäftigt...

Annika said...

FY tusan, säger jag. BORT med dom, BORT!!! Du hade nerver av stål där må jag säga. Coola bilder!
Jag vet att en granne här hade en svart änka i sin källare. Needless to say så blev dom rätt rädda...

aussiekicki said...

Ick för spindlar! Vi har ju vår beskärda del här i Down Under och jag tycker de är skitläskiga! Hur stora är spindlarna som du hittade?

Jag vill bara säga tack för din fina kommentar hos mig. Ingen lätt fråga att diskutera.
Kram!!!

Petra H said...

Hu, vad otäckt!!! Jag är så glad att det inte finns några farliga djur eller insekter på vår ö... jag hade nog aldrig varit så modig som du! Men du har väl inget val när jag tänker efter.

Toini said...

Va, vad tuff du är, jag hada lämnat huset och väntat tills min man kom hem :-)