Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sick pay? Ha!

One bad thing about being self-employed like I am is that you have no sick pay. As you know I have been sick a LOT, especially with all the hospital stays the last couple of months. This is greatly reflected in my accounts receivables, not much fun at all. At least I have enough AR to cover all my regular bills and so on. But no extras for fun stuff. Luckily I can rely on the husband who has been making more money every month with his business, but still. I better get some big, juicy projects here soon, I do not like to be broke right before Christmas... :-(

Yesterday my dear husband showed me he has learned quite a lot about how I work. Since we are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary next December, he wanted to surprise me with a nice vacation somewhere. But then he realized he better have me plan it, and just pay for it. After all, I am a bit of a control freak... So we started planning a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas, something all three of us are guaranteed to enjoy. But then I stopped and told him: no cruise. No vacation. I just want NEW FLOORS! I HATE CARPET!

Have you tried to live in a house with a small kid, two dogs, and light beige carpet? It is not possible! This carpet of ours was brand new when we moved in here in 2004, but now, it is just so gross... It doesn't matter how many times I steam clean it, or even hire a professional steam cleaning company, it just is the most vile thing ever. So I am very happy to be promised new floors. New shiny, tiles all OVER! Yes!

Tile flooring works well in Florida where it is so hot most of the year. And it is easy to clean. We are also re-tiling the shower in the master bath and putting in new toilets in all the bathrooms, they just suck. As it is now we shower in a guest bath because some tiles are loose in the master bath, and we don't want to get any water behind those. So this is a big deal for me. I get new floors and my own bathroom back.

Too bad I probably will have to wait until May... I am not sure how long it will take, but it most likely will not be fun to live through. In worst case scenario we will have to grab the dogs and stay at a hotel for a few nights. But did I mention: I AM GETTING NEW FLOORS!

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Åh underbart även om du får vänta några månader till. Jag hade valt precis som du har gjort. Har man barn och hundar så måste en heltäckningsmatta verkligen driva en till vansinne. Så jag förstår verkligen att du hurrar över nya golv. Kakel är ju utmärkt, både lätt och smidigt att hålla rent. Good choice!

Petra H said...

Vad skönt att få kakel, jag förstår att du inte vill ha heltäckningsmatta med barn, hundar och varmt klimat... När vi kollade på bostäder i Puerto Rico så var vi chockade att se att vissa lägenheter hade heltäckningsmatta - i KARIBIEN! Usch, vad äckligt! Den lägenheten vi valde till slut har marmorgolv överallt, så lyxigt och så mycket lättare att hålla rent.
Synd att du får vänta ett tag, men den som väntar på ngt gott... patience!