Thursday, May 22, 2008

Skin upgrade?

I just came from my dermatologist's office. Since my mom died of Melanoma when she was 24, and I have already had basal cell carcinoma, I am at a very high risk of developing melanoma myself.

Therefore I have skin checks every 6 months, and they ALWAYS find at least one mole (I have tons!) that is sliced off and turns out to be at least dysplastic (precancerous). But I much rather have lots of little scars than being dead, of course.

I have pretty dry skin, especially now when my water uptake is severely hindered by the fact of not having a colon. I have lots of little lines and wrinkles, probably more than the average for a woman 34 years of age. I think some are genetic, since my grandmother is a bit of a "leather face".

I don't think I could ever have plastic surgery, but I have long been interested in doing something about my skin, such as microdermabrasions, facials and professional chemical peels.

Since it has been proven that microdermabrasion actually can remove damage that could become cancerous, it would just not be for vanity. My dermatologist gave me a 25 % off certificate. So I am really interested in trying at least a facial and a microdermabrasion. A facial runs $95-150 and a microdermabrasion $125-145. They use DiamondTome, a diamond wand , rather than the old fashion powder. Since these procedures would be done at my dermatologist's office, I can use my health savings account to pay for this treatments.

What do you think? Have anyone had a microdermabrasion? Or chemical peels? I have had a facial before, and that would be more pampering than for necessity. They use Kinerase products, which I have only tried a little bit before, but they are suppose to be good.

I have a little bit more confidence going to my doctor's office than some run of the mill "spa"...

1 comment:

Saltistjejen said...

Jag har faktsikt testat. Jag gick för en facial för ett par år sedan här i NYC och då kunde man testa microdermabrasion gratis första gången så jag gjorde det. Kan itne säga att jag kasnke märkte någon oerhörd skillnad i huden, men enligt experterna ska man ju göra dessa behandlingar regelbundet för att se ett långvarigare resultat. Däremot kändes det väldigt lyxigt och skönt att få en sådan genomgång a anisktet. Huden. Det har jag funderat på att göra om faktsikt. Men sedan har det hela tiden nedprioriterats i min "lista"...
En sak du ska veta är dock att du ska vara rädd om huden direkt efter en sådan behandling. Den är känsligare än vanligt då. Så undvik solen så gott du kan!!! Och smörj smörj smöjr, för jag blev iallafall väldigt torr och fnasig någon vecka efter behandlingen. Dagarna direkt efteråt var huden även lite röd och såg lite irriterad ut. Men det är kanske itne så konstigt eftersom det är en ganska "tuff" behandling man utsätter en för.
Men som sagt, ifall din dermatologist föreslagit detta till dig tycker jag definitvt du kan testa det! Så får du själv se ifall du tycker om det eller ej.