Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday

In 20 minutes I am going to see a vascular surgeon. This is the same doctor that put the vena cava filter in 5 years ago after the first, big deep vein thrombosis (DVT aka "blood clot").

This is how my vena cava filter looks like


This is where my filter is placed
I am so sick and tired of having this clot still causing trouble, so I want to find out if it can be removed. I want to be able to take long walks without having to deal with a leg that swells up and makes it impossible to walk (as in DC when I ended up having to use a wheel chair on our vacation, not fun!).

I also want to perhaps have the extra veins removed. After the clot I got these new veins popping up, and I often bump into them which is painful. And they are not pretty to look at either.

Plus, I think it could be a good idea to check on the filter now after 5 years. It is suppose to decrease my chance of dying from a blood clot on the loose by 80 %, but it could actually get clogged too, rendering it a hazard.

So hopefully he has a solution for all this, we will see...

Lupus sure is a mean disease, causing so many, many different problems. There is just never an end to it, it seems! :-(

After the doctor I have a few errands to run, which will not be fun: the switch in Ken's car's AC (which I am driving today) is broken. So no AC. And over 90F/32C with lots of humidity. I have an appointment this afternoon to have it looked at, and hopefully they can fix it on the spot or at least order the part ASAP. It will be sweaty, especially on those black leather seats! :-)

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Oj, men att den ställer till så mycket problem med dina ben! Är det verkligen filtret som gör det? Ja, det vet du säkert bäst, men det låter konstigt? Eller är det att en propp har förstört venerna i benet så att det är därför du får nya vener och svullnar? Ja vad det än är hoppas jag verkligen att han kan hjälpa dig så att du slipper det där. Du har tillräckligt med bekymmer ändå!

STORA KRAMAR!

SweFlo said...

Nej filtret är på andra sidan av kroppen, och har inte orsakat några problem. Det är själva blodproppen som har suttit där i vänster vad i 5 år nu och aldrig lyckats bli upplöst. Och den har då blockerat blodet så att nya vener har kommit fram (och iböand får för sig att svälla upp benet så fint...). Lustigt nog har jag fått nya vener på magen också, det är ju lite mystiskt, men det måste ju ha något med benet att göra då antar jag.

SweFlo said...

Nej filtret är på andra sidan av kroppen, och har inte orsakat några problem. Det är själva blodproppen som har suttit där i vänster vad i 5 år nu och aldrig lyckats bli upplöst. Och den har då blockerat blodet så att nya vener har kommit fram (och iböand får för sig att svälla upp benet så fint...). Lustigt nog har jag fått nya vener på magen också, det är ju lite mystiskt, men det måste ju ha något med benet att göra då antar jag.

SweFlo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.