Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday

As most of you may already know, my outlook on life is generally pretty positive. I believe in positive thinking, especially when dealing with so many medical problems as I am.

This morning was however one of those moments when my positive attitude cracked and I just felt sorry for myself...

I went back to the cardiovascular doctor for the result of my ultrasound. He has such bad "bedside manners"! Not a very friendly or sympathetic old man, for sure...

Anyway, nothing new from the ultrasound I didn’t already know: I have a partially blocked vein in my left leg. What happens is that the vein will "weep", the blood will leak into the leg kind of how condensation builds on a cold glass of water on a hot day.

This blood will "clog" up the leg and cause the painful swelling that I experience once in a while.

There is no treatment for a partially blocked vein. All you can do is deal with it and wear support stockings all the time.

Support stockings? Is he kidding?! I can barely make myself wear regular socks, I am a barefoot type of person... Support stockings might be OK on a larger flight or something like that, but not all the time... no way!

Then he went on to scold me in his brusque way telling me that all the blood that pools in the leg will leave iron deposits, and over the years my leg will turn black. And if I don't wear support stockings I might get ulcers and sores that will need skin grafting!!!

So not only do I have to look forward to my leg swelling up and being useless and painful every so often, now I can also expect it to turn black and have ulcers?!

Needless to say I was not very happy on my way home. Just pissed and so tired of things always having to go wrong with my body.

It makes me feel so heavy, weighed down. At least my stomach is starting to calm down, so hopefully I just need a few more days to regain the proper hydration and electrolyte balance and I should be OK.

But the leg, what a bummer...

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Åh nej, vilket elände!! Stödstrumpa i Florida, jag säger som du: aldrig i livet!
Jag hoppas att du snart känner dig bättre! Kramar//Vic

Desiree said...

Det var inga muntra nyheter din läkare hade att komma med. Men jag antar att stödstrumpan är rätt viktig i förebyggande syfte. Måste du ha den hela tiden eller hur mycket/ofta måste du ha på dig den? Jag antar att det även är ett problem med stödstrumpa med tanke på klimatet i FL, då vill man ju gärna gå barbent och barfota så mycket som möjligt. Känner du av smärtan i benet ofta eller är det bara då och då det kommer? Kanske kan du vända dig till någon annan läkare och få en second opinion hos någon annan som kanske är lite mer positiv och tillmötesgående.
Stor tröstkram och skönt att iallfall magen känns bättre nu.

SweFlo said...

Jag tänker inte ha på mig någon stödstrumpa förutom om benet skulle svälla upp, eller om jag ska resa någon längre sträcka. Benet gör som tur är bara ont då det sväller upp rejält, och det gör det som tur aldrig. Det kan svälla lite efter en hel dags promenerande, men det är inte så farligt.