Wednesday, June 5, 2002

Contemplative

I grew up on Sweden's largest island, Gotland. Situated in the middle of the Baltic Sea it has a mystic and interesting history spanning back several thousands of years. The Vikings used this strategically situated island as a hub in their trades and travels. Its perfect spot in the middle of the action brought riches to the inhabitants, and even today treasures are being unearthed in peoples' back yards!

One thing is for sure: I cannot live without an ocean nearby. At the moment my ocean of choice happens to be the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing beats a bad day as a long walk on a stretch of powdery white sand, the azure blue waves lazily lapping on your feet. Mmmm... I can really taste the salty air just thinking about it! We are lucky to live on one of the many waterways leading in from the Gulf. We once in a while see such wonderful creatures as dolphines, manatees and sea otters right outside our house! These are the moments I do not particulary miss Sweden. I actually feel lucky to be where I am!

There are other times I miss my old island with every inch of my body. I ache to see and talk to my friends and family in person. I have not been back since the summer of -98, so it has been a long time since I had a chance to enjoy their company. I cannot wait until next summer when we finally (hopefully) will be able to go back for a couple of weeks. It all depends if I get pregnant and if/when I have a baby. Until then I thank my lucky star to have such a wonderful husband as my best friend. He is truly the best thing that has ever happend to me... XOXOX

No comments: