Wednesday, June 5, 2002

E-books

Hmmm... I just recently discovered the joy of E-books. Since I have not been in my home country Sweden since 1998 I have not had a chance to keep up with what books have come out since then. Sure, once in a while someone back there is nice enough to send me some stuff, but since I read a lot and very fast it does not last very long. Well, I just happened to stumble on some web sites after I had purchased a Swedish E-book for work, and they were talking about the E-books one can borrow electronically from some of the larger libraries in Sweden. All one had to do was to go into one of the libraries in person and set up an account. That would be a little difficult since I am in the US.

I e-mail a few of the libraries and begged for someone who work there to set up an account for me. I got mixed result. One snotty guy told me rudely how expensive it was for them to have E-books, it cost them 20 SEK everytime someone downloaded one etc. What a prick... But I DID get some really NICE replies as well, along with several account numbers to use at will. So I am now like a kid in a candy store! They have hundreds of great books, and they are all pretty much new titles by Swedish authors that was published since I was in Sweden the last time! GREAT!

I just started to read the first book in a trilogy by Jan Guillou. It is set in the 13th century and seem very promising. Guillou wrote some really good books in the beginning of the nineties that I liked. They were realistic in the fact that they depicted the Swedish society well, but it was about this Swedish secret agent guy "who had the right to kill". Kind of like Bond... Anyway, I remember I liked those books, so I hope these will be pleasing as well.

No comments: