Saturday, October 13, 2007

Forgot to mention...

I am having a huge problem with antibiotics! Turns out I am allergic to almost all kinds, especially penicillkin! I know my father was allergic to antibiotics, but I don't know what kind of allergy he had, and now he is dead anyway, so too late to ask!

The very first time I had a rash (for two horrible weeks) we weren't sure exactly which medication had caused it, but after suffering through three kinds of antibiotics that I was apparently allergic to in the hospital, it is clear that antibiotics have been the culprit all the time...

And last night, my second day on "at home" antibiotics I got a rash again! So I called Dr S this morning, and he prescribed a different kind to take the reminding 5 days. But I am itching. All over. Arrrgh! At least this time around I know better than to scratch, even if that is all I can really think of.

The weird thing is that I have been able to take antibiotics previously in life, with no adverse effects. The doc thinks it has to do with the fact that I pretty much have been on some kind of immune suppressant or steroid for the past 20 years or so... Now my immune system is "clean", the "lid is off" so to speak... So it is reacting. Big time. At least I guess I should be happy it is an itchy rash and not something more serious like problems breathing...

But I would be a LOT happier right now if it wasn't itching so "infernaliskt"!

No comments: