Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Leave my tomatoes alone!

After a lot of sneaky investigation, I finally discovered what has been eating my tomato leaves and fruit... caterpillars! I was plucking them off in droves yesterday. Grrr... They ruined lots of tomatoes, burrowing into them and gobbling away.

No more of that! I have declared war on them, and this afternoon when I have picked up Sarah I am going by the store to get some bacillus thuringiensis, or BT. It is a naturally occurring bacteria that only affect soft bodied insects like caterpillars. They do not harm beneficial insects, such as lady bugs, it is not a poison and is environmentally friendly, and apparently very effective. It affects the caterpillars' stomachs so they stop eating and die.

Don't get me wrong, I love caterpillars! Just that I have invested too much time and effort to let them just ruin my entire crop of tomatoes!!!

Tomorrow my mother in law is coming by briefly (she will be back on Friday to pick up Sarah for their camp out). So that means I got to clean up a little here tonight, not that I really have any energy for that after working so intensely on this job, but being a normal woman: I like to clean before my mother in law comes to visit! That is just a biological thing that you can't resists, I think :-)!

Now, back to work...

No comments: