Thursday, December 6, 2007

Pasta Caprese

Last night I just felt like something light for dinner, and I decided to make an old favorite. It is a pasta variation on the classic Italian Caprese salad. My husband sure likes this, amazing considering it has no meat!

I usually just use what I feel like, but these are approximate guidelines:

Pasta Caprese

You will need:

Pasta (I use spaghetti) about ½ lb
Tomatoes, 3-6 depending on you preference
Mozzarella cheese, about an 8 oz chunk
Olive oil, a drizzle
Red Vine Vinegar, a splash (could probably use other kind of vinegar too)
Garlic, 1-2 cloves freshly chopped
Fresh basil, about a handful chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preparation:

Cook pasta according to directions.
While pasta is cooking, dice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 " dice), add to large bowl.

Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top, salt and pepper to taste (I like lots of freshly ground pepper on this), chop and add basil and garlic.

Once pasta is done,m drain it well and add to bowl and mix. The cheese will melt slightly, if you prefer the cheese non-melted you can let the pasta cool a bit. This dish goes really well with whole grain spaghetti. Enjoy!

No comments: