Wednesday, May 27, 2009

No power but lots of fun in the sun

Just around 8:20 PM last night a storm rolled in over Bradenton, and I was a bit worried we might have a tornado on our hands; the trees were almost bending over in the neighbor''s yard!

It sounded very scary out there, and barely had the storm started until the power went out. This is not something entirely unusual in Florida during the summer months, but it will normally come back on after a short time. Not so this time. We were 7 hours without any electricity!

I managed to read an entire magazine in the light of a flashlight and some candles, before going to bed at 10 PM. It was actually not too hot to sleep like it otherwise can get with no AC.

At 3:30 AM Ken had to get up and turn off a light we had missed when going to bed (it is a bit hard remembering which lights were on before the power went out...).

At 9 AM this morning I went over to Sarah's school where I was volunteering to help out during their Fun in the Sun Party.

There was a cookie decorating station, an ice pop station, a watermelon station, drinks and lots of fun things to do, including a disco with some really fun music.

And then there was the face painting station.

I ended up helping out there, since there was only one poor mom doing it and LOTS of kids wanting their faces painted (we are talking ALL the Kindergarten classes at the same time!).

Lets face it, I have no painting talent what so ever, plus imagine painting sweaty little faces in 30C degree heat with water soluble runny paint; not easy! But the kids were super impressed and thought I was the coolest face painter ever. Very good ego boost! I guess their standards are not that high, ha, ha!!! ;-)

Sarah was so proud I was her mommy and you could tell she really liked having me there. After 1½ hour of non-stop face painting outside in the heat I finally packed up and left, but then everyone had gotten their face painted twice and then some, so I think that was OK.

This afternoon I am going to pick up my very last share at the veggie farm. Last week was suppose to be the last, but they said they had so much still coming, so they gave us all a bonus week.

Other then that, I am planning on having a pretty relaxed day; picking Sarah up at 1:15 PM, going grocery shopping, picking up veggies and perhaps cleaning a bit.

***CRAP! I just spilled a glass of Diet Coke on my keyboard and mouse! Luckily I have a spill proof keyboard, but the mouse seems to not want to cooperate any more. Lucky Sarah's computer have the exact same mouse, so I took hers... And I guess I should be glad it was not regular Coke, that would have been a sugary, sticky mess!

No comments: