Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What? Great... :-(

Went to my dear old Dr B today to figure out what to do with all this pain... Turns out I am suffering from steroid withdrawal... The very drug I hate, I now have to take more of. Again. When you take steroids for even a short period of time, the body's natural cortisol production can pretty much shut down, and there is no way to kick start the adrenal glands to start producing again, it has to happen slooowly. In my case over several months of tapering off the dose of the medication.

The list of withdrawal symptoms pretty much was all the things I am experiencing, except shock, coma and death... That is something I would like to avoid, thank you very much! Everyone is different, so there is no surefire way of tapering, and I guess we went a little too fast. Oh, and diarrhea is a symptom, so maybe it is not the UC, maybe it is just drug related?!

Tomorrow, Remicade time. i sure hope I won't have a reaction to it. I will let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Desiree said...

Tråkigt att du måste börja med steroiderna igen. Det positiva är dock att du har fått reda på varför du har mått sämre. Jag ska tänka på dig imorgon och håller tummarna för att det går bra med Remicade behandlingen.

Anne-Marie said...

Hoppas att allt går riktigt bra i morgon. Du är tuff som går igenom allt med så gott mod. Jobbigt att ha dessa symptom på grund av steroiderna.

Annika said...

Ja, du har det verkligen jobbigt.
Jag hoppas såklart också att allt ska gå jättebra!