Friday, February 6, 2009

Yes!

Not to go into too many boring details, but I use an Excel spreadsheet to calculate how much money I will make on some of the larger translation projects I do.

For larger projects I use a so called CAT-tool, it can remember sections I have already translated previously, so I don't have to retype everything. It doesn't translate for you (not to be confused with the horrible "machine translators" out there). This is also great in keeping a large project consistent throughout, almost a necessity actually.

The CAT-tool also recognizes sections that are not exact matches to something I have translated previously, but close. Most larger translation agencies want you to use a CAT-tool, and the payment is usually staggered based on repetitions and matches. So you don't get the full rate for a 75 % match, for instance, but you do get something, and the percentage gets smaller the higher the match.

Now I have confused all of you...

Anyway, the spreadsheet lets me plug in the numbers of matches for a project I am about to start, and that has been pre-analyzed by the CAT-tool. This will tell me how much money I will make on the project before I receive an actual purchase order from the client. I had forgot to fill out one section in the spreadsheet, and I just realized the current project that I am starting on Monday will actually pay 2,000 dollars more than I first was thinking. That is like finding 2 grand unexpectedly in your sock drawer, or something. A very nice surprise!!!

January and February has turned out be be my best work months so far, it would be awesome if this kept up all summer!!!

1 comment:

Nina said...

Visst är det härligt att ha mycket att göra! ;) Det är underbart att ha ett jobb, speciellt i dessa tider!