Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Things happen quickly...

The doctor's nurse called me back and asked if I could come in ASAP. They did not think it was an allergic reaction, and they wanted to see me to confirm their suspicions...

That sure had me a little worried! I hurried over and was seen right away, and the doctor took one god look at the rash and happily exclaimed: "You have shingles!"

Shingles is a very painful viral infection of the nerve rots, and it only affects one side of the body, called "bältros" in Swedish.

So now we are both very happy knowing it is something manageable. I have unfortunately had shingles before, nit fun.

He said that since my immune system is compromised due to the lupus there is no telling exactly what will happen, but I should count on the rash staying for a few WEEKS, and the pain longer than that! I guess he was serious, because he wrote me another pan medication prescription and said "You are going to need this". Not a good sign! He also gave me an anti-viral medication that might help suppress the virus (caused by dormant chicken pox virus ("vattenkoppor" in Swedish).

But at least it is something normal! I just wish it wasn't so darn painful. But every cloud has it's silver lining, right? At least it is only affecting HALF my body, ha, ha!!!

2 comments:

petchie said...

Åh nej, vad tråkigt att det kommer att hålla i sig ett tag men skönt att det trots allt är något "normalt" som du säger. Hoppas att det smärtstillande funkar!
Kram!

Jessica said...

But enough is enougt, har du nu inte haft tillrackligt!! Nu racker det for baske mig.
Krya pa dig och gor det fort!!!