Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Good grief!

I completely forgot about an incident that took place Sunday night, around 2 AM (maybe because I was half asleep at the time!)

I woke up from Stan wanting to go outside to pee. When it comes to Stan, you better take him out immediately or he will pee on the patio doors! So needless to say, I grabbed my bathrobe and let him out. Turned out I didn't grab a robe, it was just a regular towel. So here I am in the backyard with a towel wrapped around me and no glasses. I was completely blind (and sleepy) so it didn't register at first that something had caught Stan's interest. Then he started to jump for joy and bark a little bit.

At the same time I realize there is some kind of small, furry animal out there (remember, I am half blind here), Bob runs out from hearing all the barking. Bob is the kind of dog that runs off like no other, so I am trying to grab him first, since I know Stan will come if I call him.

Then from the corner of my eye I see Stan grabbing this furry little thing (possum? mole?) in his mouth, happily shaking it about. He probably thougth it was some kind of cool toy!

Horrified I managed to grab him under my other arm, while holding the towel up and Bob under the other arm.

I hurry inside to grab the real robe and my glasses. But when I go outside to see if the poor animal is OK he is long gone. So I figured he might be OK.

Then S and I just came back from a walk and we found him. It was a possum. Dead.

I feel so awful! But again, it was really nothing I could do about it and I really don't think Stan meant to be evil, just playful! Well, he sure lives up to his nickname, Stan the Man *ironic*. Good going, dog!

Possum, R.I.P.

No comments: