Friday, May 11, 2007

USAir - US Scare!

Immediately after booking and paying for our trip to Sweden way back in the fall I started having second thoughts about USAir. I kept hearing bad stuff, but we got a good price so I kept telling me that was more important...

Not long ago I happen by chance to notice they changed our outgoing flight from Tampa to Philly without notifying us. This change gives us very little wiggle room for delays in Philly, and since I really don't want to miss out connecting flight to Stockholm I decided to call and try to get our original reservation back.

Glad I did.

It turned out to be no problem getting that changed back. I rather have an extra hour to kill than miss a flight due to delays! BUT when the lady checked out other flights it turned out they have canceled the connecting flight on our way home! The new one we we were on only gave us 20 minutes from landing until the next one takes off, obviously that is not going to work! the only other flight they have that day to Tampa is at 8:35 PM. That is an almost 8 hour layover in Philly! Adding to that the traveling we have already done it will make the trip door to door 24 hours. not much fun for anyone...

I was offered a refund, but that would apparently take 3 weeks, and I need that money to book another trip, so not a chance I want to take. I then spent a very long time being bounced around in different phone systems, but I was determined not to give up. I will thank myself on our trip home...

I finally got a very helpful customer relations lady on the line, and due to the fact we were never informed of any of these changes she was able to hook us up with a hotel voucher to the Marriott Airport Hotel in Philly. So at least we can rest there, watch some TV and take a shower. She gave me a special customer relations file number, and told me she had put an authorization in our booking, so all we have to do is contact any USAir desk in Philly when we arrive and they will help us. I believe it when I see it, but hopefully everything will work out. We won't arrive in Tampa until midnight local time, so it is nice to know we can at least relax a bit in Philly...

4 comments:

MariofSweden said...

Ja du det är verkligen mäkligt att de gör som de gör. men tur att det finns hjälpsam personal som kan fixa när de strulat till. Ser hur som helst fram emot erat besök i Svea.

Anne-Marie said...

Du är som jag - håller på och ger inte upp. Jag har talat med många företag som gjort konstiga saker och skrivit brev till VDar och faktiskt fått resultat. Det bästa resultatet var nog när Michael och jag hade enorma problem med en Apple laptop och jag skrev ett brev till Apples VD och vi fick en ny, bättre laptop. You go girl!

JaCal said...

Oh, my... gulp... Having to travel to Sweden is hard work in the first place, they don't have to make it even worse... 2 weeks until my take off... I'm planning on missing the Stockholm flight in Chicago, get the worst seats ever, fighting to take the stroller on board the plane... and have my mom pick up the pieces at Arlanda airport.

And I would say - that's the only good thing about American companies, if you continue fight (if you have the energy) you might get at least something. But try to get SAS to bulge...

Anyway - I'm crossing my fingers for a voucher in Philly and a great trip!

S w e F l o said...

Och jag som har haft sån ångest för att jag inte valde SAS, kanske de inte är så himla mycket bättre än vad jag har inbillat mig! Good luck till dig på din resa, 2 barn och ingen hjälp... Fast det känns som om det är så jag reser med!