Friday, April 6, 2007

Oh my!

I have mentioned before that I have this increasing uncomfortable pressure in my temple on the left side. Well, last night it was just so bad I knew I had to go to the doctor today. It was just starting to be too scary.

My regular doctor wasn't in, so I had to see Dr Q. He is alright, but kind of young and unexperienced. I could tell he was a bit nervous, especially since he know I have such an extensive medical background. Finally he consulted with a couple of the other doctors, and they think I have something called Giant Cell Arteritis, or temporal arteritis. It is an inflammation of the arteries that often occurs in the side of the face near the temple.


Well that makes sense, since I am currently having inflammation in an artery in my right leg, and I have had similar inflammation in other arteries as well. I also have lots of enlarged arteries, especially on my stomach, from the blood clots. I guess the body starts trying to find new ways around blockages and that is why I have all these new, big arteries. That is what they said.

So they did some blood tests and put me on beta blockers until next week when I will see Dr B. Usually the treatment for this Giant Cell Arteritis is large doses of steroids, which I am already on... so I am not sure if they will do anything else. He said the beta blockers would help with the throbbing. Unbelievable! I feel I must be medically cursed or something...

At least it isn't a blood clot. That would have been way more scary. But apparently I can go permanently blind, have a stroke or aortic aneurysm. Not to mention there is no cure, just long term steroid treatment! I sure hope Dr B has something more to give me next week, this is just too much. Apparently it is very rear that anyone under 50 get this, and being Scandinavian increases your chance of getting it. I had never even heard of it before

No comments: