Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Danish invasion

I have said this before, but now it has happened again! It is a Danish invasion! I am working on three projects that are from three different Danish translation agencies. For being such a small country they sure send a lot of work my way! I don't even do that much work for Swedish agencies!

For you that don't know, I used to be a Danish citizen. My mom was born in Sweden, but her dad was Danish, and back in the 50s you automatically got your dad's citizenship. Well, they had changed that rule just for me to be born in 1974, so I got my mom's citizenship (which she never changed, she died when she was 24). So in 1991 I became a Swedish citizen, being Danish wasn't doing me much good, I had barely been there on vacation!

And now I am getting ready to become a US citizen in a few years, only because it is now super difficult to renew a Swedish passport in the US, you would have to go to New York to drop off the application, plus come back to pick up the passport in person!

So when my Swedish passport expire in 4 years I will instead try to get a US citizenship. I am not sure how long that will take, I probably need to get started soon on the application, the immigration authorities have been sloooooow up until now, took them years just to process my green card.

Any idea of a time range for that, Fia? For you who don't know, Fia is an excellent immigration lawyer plus is going through the application process herself at the moment.

If I indeed become a US citizen I will keep my Swedish citizenship. You can do that now, but the US will not recognize a second citizenship, in their eyes you are only a US citizen.

This would be my third citizenship, cool!

3 comments:

Desiree said...

Coolt att du är dansk. Jag tycker absolut att du ska skaffa amerikanskt medborgarskap. Det är väldans praktiskt att ha. Eftersom man kan ha flera medborgarskap så är det bara bra att ha flera. Hi hi jag har också tre, svenskt, amerikanskt och mexikanskt. Men jag är helt klart mest svensk i hjärta och själ.

Fia said...

Det tar ungefär 5 månader just nu, lite beror det på vart du bor. Hojta till om du har frågor om det. Då jag antar att du fått ditt gröna kort genom äktenskap så har du rätt att söka det 2 år och 9 månader efter det datum du fick ditt första gröna kort!

S w e F l o said...

Jo det visste jag, har ju haft grönt kort nu i snart 9 år! Men det har ju inte direkt varit så aktuellt med att bli amerikansk medborgare förrens allt detta med förnyningar av svenskt pass... Tack!