Sunday, September 9, 2007

Doctor's appointment

No kidney problem, that is good! They didn't bother checking the liver. The doc said a medication like Protonix can stay in the body for 2 weeks, so it might take a while to get rid of the reaction.

They injected me with a huge dose of steroids and told me to double the steroid dose I was taking at home for a week.

They also switched out the Atarax antihistamine to something else that might work better for itching, but it is highly sedative, so it would have to be for night time. I dropped it off at the pharmacy yesterday, but when I came back to pick it up the pharmacy was closed for the day, so I won't get to try that until tonight.

The high dose of steroids seem to have done some good though, I noticed a calming effect somewhat in the afternoon. It also helped that I was wearing jeans (in 97 degree heat!) so I couldn't scratch it too bad.

I finally have hope there might be a light at the end of the tunnel on this one!

Now for ANOTHER possible medical "crisis"... Yesterday my sister made THE most delicious taco pizza. I had made guacamole with it, and together it was sooo yummy! Needless to say I ate a LOT! Unfortunately it had corn, which is suppose to be a big no no for me right now (but I have pretty much eaten all the foods on the no no list with no problems).

I have been running to the bathroom all night, no problem there (the food was spicy too, so I expected that). But this morning I woke up with intense pain in one spot on my stomach. It is driving me nuts! I am getting a bit concerned it might be a obstruction in the small bowl, which is very common in the beginning. One trick apparently is to drink grape juice to get rid of it, so Ken is up at the store to get some right now. Obstructions can usually be cleared up without surgery, and I am going on the J-Pouch community web site to search for more tricks right now. Keep your fingers crossed that I can fix this, if it is an obstruction.

When will my medical problems END?

1 comment:

JaCal said...

Well, that was party good news, that the kidneys were fine. Good you felt a calming effect. I sure hope your ordeal will be over soon!! You're a champ! Hang in there!!