Monday, March 19, 2007

Insurance woes

Why do insurance have to be so stressful? I had a Remicade infusion back on November 3, 2006. I am still receiving bills from the hospital, each one of course less and less friendly... All this due to United Healthcare thinking I have secondary insurance that should pay for this. ??? When I asked, they said maybe the treatment was due to an injury caused by someone else, and that their insurance should pay. ??? Remicade treatment! Finally they re-processed... I paid my deductible for last year way before this date, so it sure wasn't on me! I got another demand for payment from the hospital today, over $4,400... I looked online, and the insurance had cut them a check on March 6, so everything should finally be settled. But it wasn't easy to explain to the hospital that "the check is in the mail", she didn't quite sound like she believed me...!

Then we have the home owner's insurance. It increased 1.5 times since last year, to over $2,500 annually! We decided to spring for a $50 home inspection to confirm our three hurricane upgrades - new roof that can handle up to a category 3 (as compared to regular roof that can handle a category 1), hurricane shutters on the windows, and hurricane braces on the garage door. But of course, since K is so busy, it is all on me to arrange and execute. Very stressful! The payment is due soon, so I hope they have time to review our info and give us a discount. The insurance agent sounded like a dufus and I don't think he is really on our side... but what I understand we are entitled to up to 40 % off our wind damage insurance with these upgrades. We will see... I don't like stress...

1 comment:

Madelia said...

You write very well.