Thursday, March 15, 2007

It is finally done with...

OK. So the colonoscopy is over. We got there at 6 AM sharp and I got registered and soon taken to a bed. I was the first patient of the day, which was nice. The nurse did her thing, hooked up the IV and so forth.

Two other patients soon joined me in adjacent beds. I was the only veteran with my 8th scope! The anesthesiologist came and did his thing, and then just after 7 AM I was rolled into the procedure room. They have you lay on your side and as soon as they inject the anesthesia (milk of "amnesia" since you won't remember anything) you are out.

The next thing I am waking up back outside in my bed again. The doctor came by and told me my colon basically had no lining, it was all really bad. No wonder I have so much diarrhea! He also told me I most certainly have Ulcerative Colitis rather than Crohn's! They are very similar, and early on they did always say I had UC. For some reason it was later on changed to Crohn's, and that is what it has been called ever since. If anything UC might be the better disease to have...

He decided to put me on a mega dose of Prednisone, 40 mg a day. That is double the dose they had me on last year! He said we need to do this for a few weeks/months to get the inflammation under control. This will most likely bloat me up like the Michelin man, but it has to be done. Steroids are never fun to be on!

He will see me in his office in about a week. He also mention maybe trying something like Remicade again, this time in correct dosing. So hopefully I should be feeling a bit better come summer...

He told me to stay away from fiber, eat rice, potatoes, eggs and caffeine. Eat lots of protein! I don't drink coffee, but I do like tea and Coca Cola. Especially when I work I like to load up with Diet Coke. We will see how that goes...

After I was done I had to come with K to his office so he could start the server for the others, he also had to see a client real fast. We then dropped off S at school, she wasn't very happy about that at all (though she had a great time, as always! One of the kids had a birthday party, and they got cupcakes and goody bags).

Then K had to drop of payroll at one of his clients. I still had residual pain and gas (they fill you up with gas so they can see better during the procedure). I was trying to relax, but K was driving like a mad man since he was stressing to get back to work. I didn't make it! Luckily my colon was empty, so it was an odourless watery mess that came out. I just sat on Kens sweatshirt so I wouldn't get it on the car seat. We also picked up a breakfast bagel at McDonald's for me, since I was starving.

After he dropped me off at home I just watched some TV and then took a nice nap, and then watch some more TV. K dropped S off here after having picked up my RXs. And here we are now.

No comments: